Edci338

Blog#3

How diverse is your existing PLN?

In daily life, I spend a lot of time on various PLN. According to my life and study needs, my social media is clearly divided. Wechat is definitely the most popular social media I use. My family members and most of my friends use WeChat. I also like to share a lot of content about myself on wechat, because most of my members have real life connections with me. Instagram as an international social platform, I like to browse the life of people from different places from ins. Secondly, many of my classmates also use Instagram, so I would like to choose to use Instagram to establish contact with my classmates. Mattermost is the most commonly used platform of EDCI338, and I find it is a suitable place for classmates to get to know each other more quickly.

In your PLN, are you learning from a variety of voices or are you the loudest in the room?

In the past, I think I was more of a talker. I like to post my thoughts and comments on the Internet, but as I grow older I learn to reflect and speak carefully. So now I am definitely a listener. I learn and think from what others post, hoping to improve my own ideas and abilities.

Do you participate in a silo of information sharing (similar themes or wide range of interests)?

I participate in information sharing, especially on topics that interest me. For example, I share my new manicures and my recent photos I took, but only on my own page. I rarely comment on other people’s posts. I like reading the comments more than participating in these topics.

How can you use a diverse PLN to broaden your views of inclusion?

I think the diverse PLN let people more inclusive, because the network of immediacy, mass, global, interactive, let us a more quick and easy access to events. We could have many different point of view, no matter in the one side, tit-for-tat view collisions, these could perfect ourselves constantly critical reflection on the initial point of view, let myself can be more objective to the point of views, and look at the world more broadly and rationally.

In your professional setting of choice, do you think inclusion is actively embraced?

The professional setting I want to talk about is Economics. Firstly, I chose economics as my major in university, and I have known this field for more than two years. I think this major can adapt to any position, because we have a certain understanding of the economic operation of the world, and successful economic models can be applied to our development in various fields. Therefore, many people choose economics as their major, and I can tell this major is actively embraced.

What is the learning outcome of your PLN and how are you ensuring your exposure to diversity and inclusion?

I have a wide range of interests, and I like to learn and see different things on various platforms. For example, I was curious about the film cameras that were popular in the last century, and I would learn how to use film on YouTube, which I thought was a fun thing to do. After I was tired of using all kinds of digital tools to take memento, using a film camera became my new expectation. This is the diversity that I got in PLN, while also accommodating different people’s interests.

How has your thinking about inclusion and PLN evolved after reviewing the videos and readings?

After reviewing the videos and readings, I have a deeper understanding of diversity and inclusion. We present on the platform of everything from the thoughts and attitudes of our own, and everyone is a unique individual, so it is easy to understand why the Internet voice so complex, we should accept seeking common ground while putting aside differences. Don’t bash and boycott just because you don’t like it. Let everyone have their words.

1. chloeian0329

Hello Joerica,
    My situation is very similar to yours, and I have a deep understanding of it. I used to like to post my comments on the Internet, but when I grow up, I will prefer to hear what each voice has to say. Because so I can learn from them instead of making sure that my opinions are heard aloud, to portray my voice is more important. Thank you!

2. joerica

Hi Chloe. Thank you for your positive comments.

We do need to be responsible for what we say Internet, and being cautious and reflective helps us grow.

Have a good day 🙂

3. harmeetbrar

Hi Joerica,

Another great blog post! We engage similarly on social media as I also tend to sit back and listen rather than be the “loudest voice in the room”. I do it as I enjoy hearing and learning from everyones opinions but I enjoyed reading about your reasoning about being more reflective when posting content! Looking forward to reading more from you 🙂

• joerica

Hi Harmeet. Being a listener allows you to learn and reflect on a lot of things, and it is a good way to help your own mind improve.
      Thank you!